Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Dark Pond Creations Roster Introduction - Kate Beaumont


Article By
Kate Beaumont

Hello all. So I'm here to introduce myself and plug my works. But I'm not terribly good at doing things like that. Being relatively introverted I find the act of describing myself as an actual, in fact, functioning human being that eats and sleeps and goes to work and, of course, writes and draws comics, very difficult indeed. But on closer inspection, much to my dismay I find that I am an actual human person, and therefore must introduce myself as such, for fear of coming across as “a bit weird”. However, it is entirely possible that the “weird” boat has sailed quite some time ago and that you are all adrift at sea with a blue haired, rock-loving, queer, non-binary, lab technician guinea pig owner who creates comics as much as they possibly can.

Well, that got the bit about me out of the way. Let's talk comics.

I've written under the internet moniker of Cosmicmind Comics for several years now, my works mostly being of the webcomic variety. My webcomic Respectable (respectable.smackjeeves.com) was completed in 2015 and was the first of my endeavours to make the jump to print, shortly followed by it's prequel Rockabilly (rockabilly.smackjeeves.com). 

Where did it all start I hear you cry (allow me my delusions)? To be honest I can't remember a time when I wasn't making up characters and stories, whether this was as a kid with my toys or just wandering along making things up in my head. I was clearly a strange child. Once I discovered that I could draw the stories that I was creating it opened up the world of sequential art to me. Add to this my discovery of manga and anime and you have the beginnings of what would later become my own inimitable style of drawing. As for the stories, well, they have come in all shapes, sizes, genres and lengths over the years, with subject matter including escaped genetic mutants, wars in alternate dimensions, and the everyday humdrum schoolyard. Most of these stories have only ever seen the light of day in the form of one-off pages, character design sheets, and little out-of-comic skit panels. It wasn't until my mid-twenties that anything actually got properly written. But these things often take time, and patience truly is the self-taught comic artist's friend. 

My completed comics are heavily character driven, with mostly real world settings and real issues that people face. One particular page that springs to mind even had the characters shopping in Poundland, it doesn't get more real than that! Being a member of the queer community I find it very important to have that representation in my work, and many of my storylines cover aspects of LGBTQ life. I do utterly love my characters, from the time-travelling girlfriends of the 1960s, to the bisexual rockers who smoke and drink too much, and this love makes writing their stories a great pleasure. I guess that's why I do it, to find out about these characters' lives and tell others about them too in comic form. 

Joining up with the Dark Pond team has been an excellent move, giving me the opportunity to draw stories that I would never have written myself and really allowing me to stretch my creative muscles (figurative muscles, I am not the exercise type). The Passage of Time and particularly Hallo Spaceboy (both written by Patrick Scattergood) have been such fun projects to work on. It has also inspired me to write a couple of shorter stories myself which I may or not draw depending how tired I am (as always). 

As for the future, well, I've always got far too many pots on the stove as it were. But I've written a script which I really hope will stick this time. And a potential colour comic too? If I can figure out the logistics, colour is a whole new set of skills to teach myself. I think at present it's a “watch this space” kind of message here. But feel free to check out Cosmicmind on Smackjeeves for all my available titles, and I'm also on the twitter (@cosmic_k8) and the facebook (Cosmicmind Comics) and most of the others too.

Well, must dash, happy comicking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment