Friday, 1 July 2016

The Passage of Time - Sneak Peek

Volume 2 Cover Art By Martin Simpson

Hi there Dark Ponders.

It's a lovely day and the sun is shining so I figured I would take a couple of minutes out from writing the next batch of stories for the Flesh Tones anthology series and the ongoing series The Meek, to show you one of the things that I have been working on.

I was recently given the chance to take a shot at creating something for the British Showcase Anthology and wanted to go a different route to the horror stories that both myself and Dark Pond Creations are known for.  That's when I started to think about how the older generation that lived through the world changing wars felt looking back on their lives.  Then it hit me.  Why not tell the story from a point of view of a lady that lived through the Second World War and is now living out the twilight of her years in a nursing home.  What would she be thinking of?  Who would she be thinking of?  What memories would come to her?

That's how the story of The Passage of Time came about but that brought with it a bit of a problem.  Who would illustrate it?


I've always been a fan of the style used by creators such as Rachael Smith and Drew Sumner when they do their titles, seriously go check them out, and I wanted to have a similar style for this story to give it a nice, subtle feel.  That's when I bumped in to the extremely talented Kate Beaumont at the two day Leicester Comic Con.  Sadly, I didn't get a chance to have a natter with her there but I looked her up when I got back and talked to her about her work.

She has a truly wonderful and gentle style to her art work and she came on board to draw The Passage of Time and really nailed the feel that I had wanted for the story itself.  

We've since submitted the short story to the anthology, fingers crossed, and hopefully we will hear back soon so we will definitely let you know the result there.  However, as with all good plans, if for any reason they decide to not go forward with including The Passage of Time then worry not Dark Ponders.

The idea is that if that happens, we will write some more stories about real life, or as close to it as us writers like to get, and release a one shot ourselves.  I mean, after all, we are both very proud of the story and we sincerely hope that you will enjoy it too, whatever form that takes.

Take care, be safe, be creative and be kind.

Dark Pond Pat



No comments:

Post a Comment